One foot at a time | One sole at a time | One hell of a good time

HOME | CONTACT | BIO | LUNA SANDALS

Monday, January 21, 2008

Rose Bowl 45 Miler - OC100K Training - KSO's

Spent the last two Sunday's running around the famous Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California. Last week did 30 miles, this week 45. Why? I am training for the OC 100K on February 16th.


Vibram's latest FiveFingers called KSO's are my favorite so far


I am very impressed with Vibram's latest creation, the FiveFinger KSO (Keep Stuff Out). I have been testing prototypes since the summer 2007. I have been testing the production model for nearly a month, and I love it. It will be available starting March this year. Go to www.VibramFiveFingers.com for more details.

For long runs, longer than 10 miles, I wear my Injinji socks, otherwise I start having chaffing problems in the arch of my foot, perhaps from too much flexing. The Injinjis prevent that by covering over the rough area at the seam within the FF.



I ran the 45 miles in 7 hours and 42 minutes, about the pace I need to achieve for the 100k (62 miles) in order to qualify for the Greek Spartathlon in 2009. Running so far in the middle of the day requires careful preparation. Every 3 miles I stopped and refilled my water bottle with electrolytes or my own sports nutrition drink (maltodextrin, soy protein and Green Magma) along with a few gels. Winter in California is nice, but can be quite warm in the direct sunlight. But I ain't complaining!


The electrolytes that I am using are a little secret I learned from Jorge & Mari Pacheco. It is a rehydration powder that NGO's give to refugee camps to prevent dehydration from illness. I did some research and found the powder and had to order a huge amount, but I love it and the price ends up being lower than many of the other popular electrolyte supplements offered to ultrarunners.

Rehydration ingredients per liter (which are regulated by UNICEF):
Sodium Chloride: 3.5 grams
Potassium Chloride: 1.5 grams
Trisodium Citrate, dihydrate: 2.9 grams
Glucose Anhydrous: 20.0 grams


Notice my igloo in the background. Had my cold electrolyte drink ready every 3 miles.



This feels SO good after running SO far.


PS. I started taking Iyengar Yoga classes last week and look forward to reporting my findings in upcoming blogs.

PSS. Missed a yoga retreat today and am sorry that I did. Thought I would finish sooner (by starting sooner), but it wasn't to be.

Labels: , ,

 

HOME | CONTACT | LUNA SANDALS
Copyrighted 2004-2018 Barefoot Ted's Adventures