One foot at a time | One sole at a time | One hell of a good time

HOME | CONTACT | BIO | LUNA SANDALS

Friday, March 19, 2010

Google Talk on "Born to Run" and Barefoot Running


Had the pleasure of giving a Google Talk recently and would like to share the video with you.  When I look back on videos of me talking, the sentence below always comes to mind...Christopher's description of me in Born to Run:

"Barefoot Ted talked the way Charlie Parker played the sax: he’d pick up on any cue and cut loose with a truly astonishing torrent of improvisation, seeming to breathe in through his nose while maintaining an endless flow of sound out of his mouth."

In the end, I truly love telling the story of my barefoot journey, primarily because I think that it is a journey worth taking for any sophisticated, 21st century, highly evolved primate with human ancestors.  Done well, running makes us happy and fit...and if done thoughtfully and presently, running reconnects us both to one of our greatest fundamental physical capacities and to the earth.  We are ultimately rewarded with joy.

I say don't obsess about distance and speed...rather seek out that sweet spot of joy in running and let that be your guide.  In the end, joy is a great teacher...of both your mind and body.

BFT

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Paul Vertrees said...

Amen to the sweet spot, Ted! Live in it...revel in it...run in it. Good stuff!

Friday, March 19, 2010

 
Blogger Sally McDonald said...

Howdy #1 son Ted that was a great informational talk ....
Your best supporter MOM

Friday, March 19, 2010

 
Blogger Barefoot Nick said...

Hi Ted,
Thanks for everything you have done, from telling Vibram to share their shoes to bringing life to "Born to Run".
The Google presentation was great to watch!
Nick

Friday, March 19, 2010

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you, Well done.

Friday, March 19, 2010

 
Anonymous hinogi said...

Nice video but what happen to the quality? Usually those google Talk videos have high quality like the one with Christopher Mcdougall but this one is all pixelated? I really envy you for that nice T-Shirt ^^ I poste d the link to that video in the birthdayshoes forum also where I try to gather VFF videos on the web. Just keep up talking about running barefoot or with VFF.

Friday, March 19, 2010

 
Blogger Kelly said...

Regarding tri-sponsorship... Proctor and Gamble was around in 1890 and making Ivory soap, pretty much the same way they do today I understand. Soap would be an ironic sponsor for a dirty barefoot runner. Sorry I can't give you a contact, it's just a thought.

Friday, March 19, 2010

 
Blogger Bingy's blog said...

Hi Ted,
I am 4 weeks into my barefoot running, and my calves are finally feeling great, but my achilles!!! Ouch! Is that normal? I'll be in Seattle this summer, and I am going to sign up for your class.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

 
Blogger Juho said...

I'm currently reading the book "Born to run", it's awesome! I was quite delighted to read about your doings (I thought you would only be briefly mentioned in the book). I've been running barefoot for a little over half a year now and you were one of the greatest inspirers for me to go barefoot. Thank you!

Thursday, March 25, 2010

 
Blogger Jopseph Doughty's Blog said...

Ted,
Thanks for posting this video. It is nice knowing the history of Vibram and the role you play. I got my sandals from you two years ago, but I mostly run barefoot or in Puma flats.

A longstanding ankle mobility issue cleared long ago due to your own barefoot running suggestions. Thanks and keep the great posts coming.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

 
Blogger Yvette said...

I've heard you and Christopher McDougall say that meat is for brain power in order to make a point that we are hunter gatherers who are born to run. However, the brain requires sugars like glucose to function, not high protein foods like meat. Every known civilization on this planet thrives on starches, and a little meat. Do you eat a lot of meat before a race???

Sunday, December 26, 2010

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ted, l loved how you were portrayed in Born To Run. You were so enthusiastic, friendly and 'alive'. I guess the authors comments could be taken negatively as I have seen over the internet but I felt he wrote them with affection and amazement! Thanks for just putting your energy out there.

Friday, February 04, 2011

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

HOME | CONTACT | LUNA SANDALS
Copyrighted 2004-2018 Barefoot Ted's Adventures