One foot at a time | One sole at a time | One hell of a good time

HOME | CONTACT | BIO | LUNA SANDALS

Thursday, August 26, 2010

2010 Leadville 100 Trail Race Report

At the start: Greg Labbe, Cabro & Me

 Feeling great after 100 miles in the Rockies.

My fourth summer in a row visit to Leadville, Colorado and my third completion of the Leadville 100 Mile Trail Race...what an experience.  Deep gratitude for good friends and a strong body.

Finished!

This year's race was to be my second attempt at running the entire course barefoot and with my own Luna Sandals.  Two years ago, I started with sandals, but had to change into VFFs KSOs at the top of Hope Pass in order to complete the race due to horrible weather conditions.  This year I was able to run the entire race with my sandals (see www.LunaSandals.com) and in bare feet...a pure joy fest.

At the finish line carpet, McDougall at my side.

I spent the week before the race acclimatizing in Leadville staying at the Labbe Family Compound behind the famous Tabor Opera House.  The week leading up to the race included lots of great reunions with old friends along with a couple high mountain hikes.  I have thankfully not suffered from any serious altitude problems while participating in the race...which I believe is connected to my practice of deep nose breathing throughout the week and throughout the run.

Pacers Jules and Bookis Smuin and me - Post Race in Proven Grounds

This year, Mas Loco veteran Chris Labbe, aka Cabro, came up with a terrific strategy.  Both he and I had not really been training hard in preparation for the race.  In his case, he just didn't have time.  In my case, I have been purposely finding out what the lowest amount of training is necessary to complete the race well.  For me, that meant averaging less that 15 miles per week throughout the year, completing a marathon in May (Copenhagen Marathon - barefoot), a 50K in June (Vashon Island 50k in Luna Sandals) and a 50 miler in July (White River 50 Mile Trail Race - barefoot & Lunas),...and concentrating on running gracefully and joyfully everyday.

I also want to add that I spent one week in West Virginia in July training with Erwan Le Corre and practicing MovNat.  Now that added something to my overall fitness for sure.

Matt Mahoney and me pre race.

So Cabro's plan seemed genius: we would run to Winfield (the 50 mile point) in 12 hours and 30 minutes and come back in the same amount of time...thus getting in at or under 25 hours...and getting the big belt buckle prize.  Sounded good to me.

The key to this strategy was going be avoiding trying to go too fast...as a matter of fact, we were going to have to go slow...slower than our bodies craved when fresh, slower than most everyone else on the course.  No easy feat.

However, I bought in to his plan, mostly because it meant I could take it easy and just enjoy the run through the wilderness...barefoot and in my sandals...and focus on staying focused and smooth and graceful and happy.   I think I succeeded.

Me and Cabro entering Mayqueen outbound | Photo Matt Mahoney

All was going according to plan until we started climbing outbound Hope Pass.  Cabro just could not keep his speed down.  Up he went, passing one runner after another...even though we had already tested the idea of keeping the intensity down on this climb.  I tried to stick to the plan, but was sad to see him go, for I was relying on his knowledge of the course and the splits we needed to maintain in order to get under 25.

On my way outbound to Hagerman Pass | Photo Matt Mahoney

By the time I got over to Winfield, I was pretty tired.  It's amazing how much energy one must have in order to run 50 miles and still have enough energy to run 50 more.  Once into Winfield, I met up with my first pacer, Dennis Shaver, and was given some homemade burritos (thanks Joey!) that really tasted great after having basically been living off of gels for the last 12 hours.  Dennis' job was to get me up and over Hope Pass a second time...not easy even with fresh legs, but we did it and found ourselves in Twin Lakes for the second time...and me really starting to feel good.

Matt Mahoney captured this shot of me on my way towards the Hope climb

In Twin Lakes I picked up my second pacer, Luna Sandal wearing Jules Smuin.  Jules was in for a treat.  As we left Twin Lakes and started our 9 mile journey to Half Moon, I started to feel stronger and stronger.  About half way to Half Moon, I started passing runners and would continue to do so for most of the rest of the race.  Note:  it is a delight to be strong during the last half of a 100 mile race.  While others have spent the day running in the heat to gain position, I was able to preserve myself.  Running at night is easier, primarily because it is cooler.  And with headlights to chase in the distance, one has something to follow and aim for...persistence hunting ones way to the finish.

Crossing river out of Twin Lakes | Photo Matt Mahoney

At the Fish Hatchery I picked up my third pacer, Bookis Smuin sporting sandals too.  He paced me up and over Powerline and down to Mayqueen.  We were amazed at the power of my newest light, a Fenix PD30 - the brightest light you could ever hope for, small, lightweight, a dream...making it possible for me to run sections of the trail that proved impossible last year without good light.

Tracy Thomas and me, day before race.

Upon arriving in Mayqueen inbound, I picked up my final pacer, Born to Run author Christopher McDougall and he too was wearing sandals.  Now, I truly did have a lot of juice left in me, but I was not about to just run without talking to Mr. Oso.  We turned the last 3 1/2 hours into a time for catching up...hearing about all the exciting things happening including a possible film adaptation of BTR.  Very cool stuff.

Outbound at Powerline

We finally arrived at the finish line at 7:16am...27 hours after I had left.  Me feeling great.  Feet feeling great.  It is great to be alive.

BFT

Sponsors:  I want to thank the following folks for providing materials necessary for the success of my run: Chocolate #9 of Seattle, ProBar of Utah, Amanda McIntosh and Hammer Gels, Extreme Outfitters of North Carolina and Vibram USA and of course the Luna Sandal Company of Seattle :-)

Cabro & me entering Treeline outbound


PS.  My recovery seems complete less than 4 days after the race.  I am stunned and amazed by the body and its capacities...if treated well.  Moral of the story: treat it well.





Video of me coming into the finish with McDougall at my side and my trusty stick :-)



...

Labels: , ,

22 Comments:

Anonymous Miss Lorelle said...

Ted I love your gratitude and respect for the human body, you are an inspiration!! Next time you are in Boston I would love to meet up... for a run or to just talk running... keep up the good work.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

 
Anonymous Sonja said...

Congrats! Running 100 miles is amazing! I'm glad your new sandals performed well too!

Thursday, August 26, 2010

 
Anonymous Brett Bumeter said...

Well, I'm recharged on motivation! That was awesome to read, think I'm gonna grab a headlight and go for a midnight run myself. :)

correction, no thinking about it, I'm going.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

 
Anonymous Daniel J said...

Ted,
Congratulations on a great run. I am amazed at your abilities. You have inspired me to start running barefoot. I am running barefoot 1/4 mile at the end of each run. Any pointers?

Thursday, August 26, 2010

 
Anonymous Jason McCay said...

Congrats BFT! I really enjoy hearing about all of your adventures. Such an inspiration!

Thursday, August 26, 2010

 
Blogger Sawtooth said...

Awesome job, Ted! You're an inspiration to us out here. Keep up the great work!

Thursday, August 26, 2010

 
Blogger August Kryger said...

Huge congratulations, you're a great inspiration. I'm only 2 weeks out from my first marathon, which I'll almost-barefoot run (in VFFs) thanks to reading Born to Run in January. The book and you both inspired me to make the plunge and become a runner. Been loving it ever since. Thanks for all your information and congrats again on a great run.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

 
Blogger Tim said...

Ted... beautiful race report, and amazing job. You inspire us all!

Friday, August 27, 2010

 
Blogger Candice said...

Congratulations Ted!! You are amazing! Thanks for the race report.

Friday, August 27, 2010

 
Anonymous Matthijs Hollemans said...

That is truly awesome, Ted. I'm only a beginning barefoot runner myself (about 11 months now) and I hope to do my first barefoot 5K race soon. Can't wait to do 100 miles! A year ago I wouldn't even have thought it possible for humans to run that far and still be healthy, but guys like you show that it is. Thanks for the inspiration!

Friday, August 27, 2010

 
Blogger Jesse and Carolyn said...

If BTR is made into a film I hope Ted plays Ted. Great story. I ran 4 miles one day this week and I started wondering, "Can I do Leadville?" Peace brother.

Friday, August 27, 2010

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Great race Ted! The fact that you finished strong and then recovered so quickly is awesome, and very inspiring

PS Can hardly wait to get the Luna Leadville huaraches I just ordered!

Friday, August 27, 2010

 
Anonymous MsRitz said...

Nice post!! congrats on the race!!
BT, I have a question, I just started eating the Chocolate gel with agave, but they are less calories, do you eat more of them? How many miles (in comparison to the Gus or Powerbars?)

Friday, August 27, 2010

 
Anonymous Bill D. said...

Congratulations BFT! Great report brought alive with happy photos. I still wear and love your first batch of Luna Sandals. Thanks!

Saturday, August 28, 2010

 
Blogger gecko said...

well done b.f.t on the leadville success, im pretty new to barefoot running, however its the first time in years ive been so motivated to run,im up to seven miles in vff, and four mile in homemade sandals, problem is my calves are so sore after. once again well done and respect

Sunday, August 29, 2010

 
Blogger stvnbrindl said...

Congrats on your Leadville run. You're quite inspiring. I'm glad the new sandals are such a success.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

 
Blogger Barefoot Ted said...

I should have added (and think I will) that I spent a week in July in West Virginia studying MovNat with Erwan Le Corre...that also helped my overall fitness profile for this race.

BFT

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

 
Anonymous Liam said...

Fantastic post and very inspirational. I've got a pair of Lunas on order and hoping to wear them for the NYC Marathon in November (my first). Can't wait to break 'em in! Since I started barefooting a few weeks ago and changing my running form, the pain in my left knee has almost completely cleared up, despite the fact that I'm increasing my distance each week in training. Thanks for what you do!

Monday, September 06, 2010

 
Blogger Tracy Thomas said...

You have GREAT legs, Ted!!!
Love, Tracy

Thursday, September 09, 2010

 
Blogger Tracy Thomas said...

YOU have GREAT legs, Ted!
Love, Tracy

Thursday, September 09, 2010

 
Anonymous Matt said...

Far out. 100 miles. That's awesome. I am not sure about barefoot running (I run 5-20 miles a day with regular - if a little smelly - shoes and have had no problems) so am reluctant to try. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? But to run 100 miles in sandals and barefeet is amazing. The best thing is you enjoy it. As I plod along the muddy trails (I live in England) I often think, how many people forget that in their quest to do whatever they feel they need to do that the main reason to run is for fun? When it stops becoming fun to run, I will stop.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

 
Anonymous Jordan M said...

I know this is kind of off topic, but how are you tying the laces to your huaraches there?

Friday, June 17, 2011

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

HOME | CONTACT | LUNA SANDALS
Copyrighted 2004-2018 Barefoot Ted's Adventures